السبت، 28 أكتوبر 2017

Cabo Corso (Capecoast Castle)

"Hi Nana... all is set for you to come to Cape Coast for your much-anticipated understanding and investigation of the Cabo Corso Castle" - in a sniggering tone.

Those were the correct expressions of my cousin, Fiifi, who called me the distance from Cape Coast to disclose to me his family was prepared to have me as I take my much-anticipated voyage through the noteworthy and renowned Cape Coast Castle, one of the numerous old European Castles situated in Cape Coast - in the Central district of Ghana.

I rested for most piece of the 2-hour travel from Accra to Cape Coast. My cousins, Fiifi and little Araba, were at the transport station to welcome me.

I hurriedly ate down my lunch upon entry and stuffed around few bites and water into my rucksack, prepared for my voyage through the "Cabo Corso" Castle.

It was a 15-minute drive from our family house to the lovely Cape Coast Castle which has a shielded shoreline. There remained before me, the great and memorable Cape Coast manor. I saw on entry, different travelers like myself, prepared to investigate the insider facts of old that lie behind the powerful dividers of Cape Coast Castle. We were introduced by a visit control who took us round the mansion, relating occasions of old.

Generally of the visit, I just couldn't trust my eyes and ears and it took infrequent squeezes to take myself back to reality. The palace's design is just stunning! It has an unpredictable polygon shape with an obvious vast pentagonal yard ignoring the ocean and its condos inside are extremely open.

As per Joojo Hanson, the neighborhood visit direct, the Portuguese manufactured the primary exchange stop in 1555 and called the nearby settlement "Cabo Corso". Ha! I figure you now know why cousin Fiifi made those sniggering remarks about a specific "Cabo Corso" - Yeah! I knew the town of Cape Coast was named as "Cabo Corso" by the Portuguese yet was later adulterated to 'Cape Coast'. I did a little research before setting off - something that has turned into a schedule. The Portuguese, Dutch, Danes, Swedes and English were in rivalry to pick up control of Cape Coast which was nearer to Elmina Castle. At long last, the Portuguese won and fabricated the main exchange hold up.

The Swedes likewise manufactured a perpetual stronghold in 1653 and called it Carolusburg. The English later assumed control Carolusburg, changing it into a manor - the Cape Coast Castle.

"These are extensive rooms, sufficiently substantial to have contained the slaves" said Joojo, indicating a huge underground room that must have, in any event, contained near a thousand slaves, with an opening sitting above the ocean. In the expressions of Jean Barbot, an onlooker, "the keeping of the slaves underground is a decent security to the army against any rebellion." Joojo re-reverberated it afresh to us. By then, I contemplated internally; "I'm certain those words have been archived some place for this visit manual for rehash them so effortlessly just as he had met the gathered onlooker."

Comparable rooms were likewise accommodated the capacity of arms. Groups were everywhere throughout the stronghold, some arranged inside the yard to prevent defiant detainees while others have been deliberately mounted along the dividers of the mansion in status for any engagement with a moving toward adversary.

There was this specific live with no ventilation and, littler than the past ones. It was the "Censured cell". Defiant slaves were kept there without sustenance nor water until they passed on of thirst, yearning and suffocation.

As indicated by Joojo, it is assessed that, around the 1700s, 70,000 slaves were traded yearly to the New World.

These disclosures gave me the shivers. I knew I was prepared to investigate the dull insider facts behind the Castle at the same time, basically, I WAS NOT PSYCHOLOGICALLY PREPARED FOR THIS! I was gobsmacked!

I could scarcely discover the feet to proceed with the visit yet my hunger for legacy information and interest to know more asked me on.

We were later driven into a gallery inside the palace which harbored old things of the mansion's initial occupants. We were not permitted to take pictures but rather I figured out how to catch couple of shots, however obscure. I saw containers, weapons, bottles, funnels, among others, having a place with slave experts which have been kept for a considerable length of time.

In one of the rooms, there were bundles of blossoms pleasantly arranged. I restlessly solicited Joojo the reason from those blossoms. He clarified that the blooms laid by sightseers and Africans in the diaspora who have followed their genealogical roots and observed them to be in Cape Coast - Ghana - and furthermore, to offer their regards to their ancestors who persevered through grim treatment before being delivered to the New World in the slave exchange time.

To end the visit, Joojo drove us to the patio where Philip Quaque, the principal Ghanaian to get ecclesiastical preparing in England, was covered. It was in that same yard that Governor George McLean and his better half were later likewise covered.

Having arrived at the finish of the visit, in as much as I had profited from the learning I had gained, I just couldn't trust the things I had heard and seen. Mind blowing!

Next prevent from the stronghold, was the nearby market, where I needed to buy a few things for cousins Fiifi and Araba while discharging a portion of the "steam" I had amassed from my visit to the heavenly and notable Cape Coast mansion. I found the nearby people very intriguing, well disposed and interesting - regular of Fantes. I made a beeline for the family house to get ready for my excursion back to Accra the following day.

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق